Union Chapter No. 122
LOCATION: Main Street, Union, WV 24983
MAILING ADDRESS: P. O. Box 283, Union, WV 24983
MEETINGS: Third Thursday at 7:30
DATE OF GRAND VISITATION: November 3, 2011
|WM||Mary Allen||P. O. Box 283 , Union, WV 24983|
|WP||John Allen||P. O. Box 283, Union, WV 24983|
|AM||Shirley Neel||P. O. Box 99, Union, WV 24983|
|AP||Roger Mullins||HC 65, Box 192, Ballengee, WV 25919|
|Sec||Barbara Dunbar||P. O. Box 256, Union, WV 24983|
|Trea||Vanessa Pontius||P. O. Box 53, Union, WV 24983|
|Cond||Carol Groves||P. O. Box 436, Union, WV 24983|
|AC||Michelle McFall||Rt. 2, Box 209A, Sinks Grove, WV 24976|
|Chap||Eleanore Floyd||HC 37, Box 218, Lewisburg, WV 24901|
|Org||Doris Taylor||Rt. 1 Box 301B, Sinks Grove, WV 24976|
|Ruth||Vickie Faulkner||Rt. 1, Box 84A-1, Linside, WV 24951|
|Esther||Pamela Davis||P. O. Box 72, Gap Mills, WV 24941|
|Elect||Gail Weikle||Rt. 1, Box 129A, Union, WV 24983|
|War||Juda Ratliff||Rt. 1, Box 224, Linside, WV 24951|
|Sent||Susan Weikle||Rt. 1, Box 129A, Union, WV 24983|
|John Allen||Maxine Furrow||Nancy Peck|
|Mary Allen, P.M.||Carol Groves||Juda Ratliff|
|Ethel Anderson||Edith Groves||Ruth Riner, P.M.|
|Arthur Baker||Robert Groves, P.P||Edith Runyon|
|Phyllis Baker||William Guy||Mildred Shaw|
|Shirley Bulman||Frances Irwin, P.M.||Clara Lee Sibold|
|Margaret Clark, P.M.||Mary Shoemaker Kobman||Debra Spivey|
|Glenda Cobb||Lucille Lemons, P.M.||Rachael Tansill|
|Larry Cobb||Dorothy Lipscomb||Doris Ann Taylor|
|Phyllis Crosier||Michelle McFall||Jackson Thompson|
|Pamela Davis, P.M.||Ardith McGuire, P.M.||Phyllis Thompson|
|Ann Dransfield||Billy Joe McGuire||Gail Weikle|
|Barbara Dunbar, P.M.||Irene McMann||Susam Weikle|
|Phyllis Faudree||Kevin Miller||Grace Wickline|
|Vickie Faulkner||Stacy Miller||Nellie Wylie, P.M.|
|Eleanore Floyd, PM||Roger Mullins, P.P.||Jo Ann Yates|
|Marcelella Forren||Shirley Neel, P.M.|
The 150th anniversary of Monroe Lodge in 1999 coincides with the 70th anniversary of Union Chapter of the Eastern Star. We are blessed, as this is being written, to have two charter members still in our chapter! We not only have two seventy-year members, but also two 60 year members, Four members accounting for a total of 263 years of dedicated service. Our chapter is most appreciative of all our precious long-time members.
The organizational meeting or Union Chapter was held on June 6, 1929. The charter, dated October 2, 1929, was presented to the chapter on November 21, 1929.
The chapter quickly became active in money raising activities to purchase needed items. Money raisers in the 1930’s included bridge parties, dinners, and even performing a play at the high school.
The piano was purchased at Alderson for the sum of $50.00 in 1933. Soon after, lights were installed in the east and at the piano at a cost of $2.00. Material was purchased to make drapes for windows in the chapter room.
The chapter has always contributed heavily to various repairs to the lodge building, including such things as contributions for floor coverings, window drapes, electrical fixtures, paint and, recently, siding, ceiling fans, and steps to the street.
By 1940, the chapter decided to make over the downstairs into a dining room and kitchen and a range was purchased (December, 1942 for $40.00). This project took three or four years. In 1954 & 1955, the dining room was completely refurbished. The dish cabinet was built in 1959, The dining area was again renovated in the early 1980’s. Paneling, floor covering, wiring, and cabinets were built (by Ralph Faudree). Stoves were bought over the years, as were refrigerators. This improvement has enabled the chapter and the Masons to enjoy many fine meals in the hall.
All through WW II, the chapter made generous contributions. Such funds as the Red Cross, Chinese Relief, Chinese Hospital Fund, clothing drives, National War Fund drive, USO, Navy Relief Fund, etc., were beneficiaries of our chapter’s generosity.
Dues of Chapter members on active duty were remitted during the war years. In October, 1943, a Memorial Service was held by the chapter “for the boys of our community who gave their lives in the service of our country in the present war.” Particularly remembered were Baxter H. Jarvis, Elwyn A. Allen, Robert B. Benfeld, and James R. Compton; also, three men of WW I whose families are connected with our chapter: Clifford Glover, George Clark, and Lacy Talbott.
The August 16, 1945 reflect that, Worthy Matron Sister Lucille Lemons prepared a beautiful and inspirational program in celebration of our victory over Japan and the end of World War II. The chapter room had been made beautiful for the occasion by Sister Thelma Spangler using flowers and candles in red, white, and blue and an impersonation of Uncle Sam holding a large V which had been wrapped in red, white, and blue paper. All made a splendid setting for the program which consisted of a talk by the Worthy matron, prayer by Sister Gaye Kittle, Past Matron, speeches by the star points Adah, Esther, and Electra, who carried candles and represented the red, white, and blue of our star. A duet, “America the Beautiful,” by Sister Louise Neel and Sister Irene Tomlinson with Sister Constance Clark as accompanist. The program closed by singing “America.”
Boxes of home-made candy were mailed to the boys in the service of our country for Christmas. At least two members of the chapter were on active duty during World War II - Jimmie Johnson and Hugh Londeree.
During the late 1940’s and the 1950’s, the chapter adopted a Chinese child. For the sum of $24.00 per year, one could supposedly feed and clothe a Chinese child and provide for the child’s education.
A beautiful hand made gavel was presented to the chapter by Brother A. A. Hedrick in February, 1941. It was made from a cherry tree that had blown down in his yard. The following month, the chapter located a silver band “... appropriate for marking the gavel. The chapter ordered Sister Givens to buy this silver band and to have a suitable inscription inscribed on the band.”
At the February 20, 1951 chapter meeting, it was decided to purchase the electric signet. It has held up well over the years.
During the Grand Visitation by Worthy Grand Matron Sister Marie Young, of Philippi, WV on February 18, 1960, an electrical failure occurred while conferring degrees. The outage was caused by a severe storm. The remainder of the meeting and the serving of refreshments later were by candle light. This must have been an unforgettable experience
Chapter's Past Grand Officers
Gaye Kittle Grand Warder — 1957
Chapter's Past Grand Representatives
Virginia Hoylman Ontario 1939-1942
Thelma Spangler Nebraska 1944-1947
Pearl Pritt Nova Scotia 1952-1954
Frances Broyles Idaho 1974-1977
Nancy Mullins Arkansas 1987-1990
Barbara Dunbar Washington 2002-2004
Mary Allen New Jersey 2005-2007