Even though you might think that burglars are smart enough to try and break into a home from anywhere but a door, you are sadly mistaken. Evidence collected from crime scenes show that burglars tend to target front or back doors to your home more than windows, sunroofs or other possible points of entry to your home. Statistics show that crime is on the rise on a national level and you need to fortify the security of your home if you want a sense of safety to prevail.
Start using deadbolt locks on your front and back doors. Smart keys and other mechanisms are all fine but a good, old deadbolt lock makes it far more difficult for burglars to break in. The following are some brands which locksmiths recommend.
Top 10 door lock brands
- Yale: Yale is best known as the creator of pin tumbler locks. It is undoubtedly one of the most trusted door lock brands in the world. These locks form the basis for designs of other top lock brands in the world and they have become synonymous with precision and high-quality door locks that withstand the test of time and rough handling.
- Medeco: Medeco is a door lock brand which is known for constant innovation and cutting edge research. However, they have a propensity for too much experimentation and their focus on convenience may sometimes undermine the actual purpose of locks- security. However, these locks are still considered to be of superior quality and aren’t easy to break.
- RR Brink: RR Brink Locking Systems is one of the most trusted names because of their expertise in making extremely sturdy and almost full-proof locks. They are used to guard high-value assets. They are best known for their mortise locks which are often impossible to break without special resources.
- Baldwin: Baldwin is respected for consistent delivery of designs for sturdy metal locks which are quite heavy and hence difficult to cut through. A heavy cylinder lock from Baldwin won’t easily fall off from a door when pushed and bumped even with great force. This makes Baldwin a reliable brand.
- Kwikset: Kwikset is known for innovative designs and concepts. They have a rekey feature that allows the owner to reset the security settings of their smart lock. This means that if a key is lost, you won’t have to worry about its possible consequences because you can simply reset the lock, rendering the key useless. They are also pickproof and bump proof.
- ASSA-Abloy: ASSA-Abloy is the biggest brand in the market of security equipment and apparatus. However, they are particularly well known for their locks and own a number of popular lock brands. They are a trusted name and have been in the business for long, thereby being an active participant in the evolution of locks.
- Abus: Abus is a German brand which has earned the “Brand of the Century” title in the security equipment category. They are extremely sturdy and have been found almost impossible to pick, even with advanced and specialized resources.
- Lockwood: Lockwood is an Australian lock brand currently owned by ASSA-Abloy. They are known to manufacture high to medium security padlocks, cylinder locks and also smart locks. They are today a trusted name in the lock world and are difficult to pick.
- Traka: Also owned by ASSA-Abloy, Traka is a brand that focuses on securing, managing and auditing any physical asset. They have a focus on electronic locks but their traditional deadbolt locks are also highly trusted. It provides services like locker management and intelligent key management using which you can limit access to only authorized users.
- Schlage: Schlage focuses on affordable security solutions. Their locks are very sturdy and difficult to pick or bump. They may not be the most advanced in terms of the technology deployed but are more than handy solutions for most homes. Most of their models are included in the lower price brackets which increase their appeal.
There are other great door lock brands too. But these are the crème de la crème. Along with door locks, focus on other aspects of home security too to improve overall home security.